Your new role could be working with a diverse team of people who work together to deliver UK's goals for secure, affordable and sustainable energy.
While implementing the CfD scheme, LCCC plays a key role in delivering the UK net zero target, and as a not-for-profit organisation, this is not a typical contract or commercial management role. Performance is not measured against a bottom line, but instead there are two guiding principles for LCCC: to maintain investors’ confidence in the CfD scheme and to minimise cost to consumers.
This is an exciting time to be joining the LCCC and particularly the Scheme Delivery team which manages the CfD scheme. Following the announcements from BEIS on new Allocation Rounds in the near future which is expected to significantly increase the number of CfDs and also the recent BEIS publication of the Business Models for Carbon Capture Usage and Storage, the Scheme Delivery team is also expanding in an effort to prepare for new CFDs and the new CCUS schemes.
The Lead Contract Manager will be instrumental in setting up new team(s) within Scheme Delivery and then leading the management of the respective contracts, engaging on a regular basis with LCCC’s key stakeholders (LCCC Board, BEIS & counterparties).
Lead the planning phase of the Contract Management activity:
- Understanding in depth the terms and conditions of the contracts to be managed
- Following the anticipated successive BEIS publications which are expected to provide further level of detail;
- Offer continuous feedback and assisting BEIS in the further development of any new terms
- Lead the procurement of advisors to assist the LCCC with its reporting obligations under the contracts and set up the reporting templates;
- Develop contract management procedures, systems and guidance (or adapt existing ones), tailored to the requirements of the new contracts;
- Support the Settlement and Forecasting teams in their understanding of the payment mechanisms; sense check the robustness and suitability of the settlement system and forecasting logic proposed by the respective teams.
- Recruit and on-board additional members to the contract management team.
Lead the contract management activity once the contracts are entered into:
- Have ownership and responsibility for the assigned contracts, acting as the Senior Account Manager and managing contractual processes and issues, including actively identifying and resolving potential disputes;
- Apply judgement to manage the contracts, based on LCCC’s overarching interpretation;
- Lead the review of information provided by the developers and lead the preparation and presentation of regular briefings to senior stakeholders on the progress of the project, key risks and any other relevant matters.
- Scoping, instructing and managing the work of the appointed technical and financial advisors to support the above (including challenging the views advanced by the advisors);
The role could evolve to also provide analysis and advice in relation to the development, planning and implementation of future contracts/schemes. The role will be flexible across our schemes whether managing CfDs or any new schemes in future as they are allocated to the LCCC.
Skills/Background/Experience required for the role
- Extensive contract management experience;
- Excellent analytical skills and proven experience in capturing, managing & interpretating data, including performance & settlement data;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Good general commercial acumen;
- Knowledge of electricity /energy markets and/or carbon capture and hydrogen
- Experience in managing external advisors;
- Experience in interpreting and managing complex contractual arrangements (including for instance contracts with gainshare mechanisms, reopeners, change in law provisions etc) is desirable;
- Experience in reviewing reports on the physical progress of a construction project and offering brief and concise summaries for senior audiences is a plus;
- Understanding of the detail and rationale behind the key commercial terms of the CfDs is a plus