The Legal Advisor will provide legal advice to LCCC and ESC as a member of the Legal team and will assist the Director of Legal and other Legal team members to support the business activities and operations of LCCC and ESC.
The role will require the delivery of high quality legal advice, and the Legal Advisor will be responsible for working in a collegiate way with other functional colleagues on significant company projects (e.g. delivery of Legal’s responsibilities in relation to CFD allocation rounds).
The role will be expected to have an understanding of the wider company strategic goals and participate as a valued staff member in helping the company achieve those goals.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Provide general legal advice relating to the CFD contracts, Capacity Market matters, contract management issues, regulatory matters, business operations, procurement, public procurement, compliance, FOI and general legal issues.
- Review heavyweight and complex contractual and project documentation.
- Review and provide input into draft consultations, draft regulations and other documentation.
- Develop and review processes, guidance documents and standards applicable to contracts and business operations.
- Provide ad hoc advice and support around contractual claims and disputes, the dispute resolution processes and dispute resolution strategies.
- Work with third parties providing external assistance, with a view to minimising overall cost and risk to LCCC and ESC.
- Identify legal issues and ensure that the Director of Legal is kept informed.
- Work with functional colleagues on the delivery of company projects and responsibilities.
Skills/Experience Required for the Role:
- Solicitor around 5-6 years PQE, preferably with in-house experience.
- Knowledge and experience of the electricity industry, renewables or the utilities sector is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of one or more of the following is desirable but not essential - construction, commercial, infrastructure projects, project finance, public law, public procurement, disputes and litigation.
- Experience of drafting and negotiating complex and heavyweight contracts.
- Ability to commission and manage external legal advisers to budget and negotiate successful client outcomes.
- Ability to provide an authoritative view on complex legal questions.
- Sound judgement in order to balance risks and influence senior colleagues and high level stakeholders both internally, within Government and externally across the electricity industry.
- Ability to draft to an exacting standard.
- Attention to detail and ability to assimilate and analyse large quantities or complex materials while retaining an ability to see the big picture.
- Ability to deliver quality work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent influencing, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be recognised as a value adding, pragmatic operator.
- Experience of working within or advising a similar business with complex long term contracting arrangements, settlements and payments.
- Experience of working with or in Government is desirable;
- Strong analytical, contractual, commercial and drafting skills.
- Team player with credibility to operate at senior level.